One of the best ways to protect teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is using crowns. Your dentist in Livonia, NY, and serving Geneseo, Dr. Sandra Eleczko, is more than happy to tell you more about crowns and their benefits.
What are dental crowns:
Crowns are usually made of porcelain. Your Livonia dentist serving Geneseo, NY, takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime though, you're given a temporary crown.
So why get a dental crown anyway?
Dental crowns reinforce the tooth and allow it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering dental implants
- Covering an existing filling that may be dislocated
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
How do I take care of my crowns?
- It goes without saying that you need to brush twice a day and floss before bed. However, make sure to give special attention to the area around your dental crown. It's important to avoid plaque to reduce the chances of cavities forming and impacting the dental restoration.
- In addition to brushing and flossing, your diet can contribute to your crowns lasting up to 8 years, or more. Don't bite into ice and avoid sugary foods like soda and candy. Sugars contain the bacteria that produce plaque. So try eating healthy foods like apples and carrots that scrape the plaque off your teeth and incorporate more water into your diet.
- Bruxism, when someone grinds their teeth, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution for it with your dentist, like getting a mouth guard.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Sandra Eleczko in Livonia, NY, serving Geneseo and surrounding areas, as soon as possible.